So, it started off fine, or relatively fine. I left for my 2nd day of work, which was a bit traumatic for little Julia, but I was able to leave without too much fuss.
And then my desk phone rang...
It was Sarah, the other Sarah at the Embassy, not me. My housekeeper had called the Embassy switchboard (which was the only number I knew, because I didn't know my desk phone yet), and the operator transferred her to Omani Sarah and not to me. Turned out Julia had locked herself in the bathroom.
From what I can figure out, Julia had to use the potty, Connie helped, they left, but Julia turned around, shut the door, and locked it. She wanted to wash her hands "BY MYSELF". If you've lived with a willful 3 year old, you know exactly what I mean. Unfortunately, small washed and wet hands can't unlock doors.
Omani doors are SOLID. There's no pin hole you can stick with a paperclip to unclock the bathroom door. It does have a grooved segment that you can conceivably use to unlock with the right equipment, however, not with the equipment easily available (coins and Polly Pockets).
Julia started getting upset and even told Connie to call the police and fireman and that's when I got a call. So, 10 minutes before I was supposed to be in a security clearance meeting, I rushed to my car and drove home. Meanwhile, my co-worker was on the phone calling facilities people to meet me at the house and help unlock this door.
I ran around looking for the screwdriver, which, of course, was not where it was supposed to be. Found it, and with a bit of effort, was able to unlock the door.
Julia was on the other side, naked and wet... hmmm.... and upset. I swaddled her in her towel and talked to her on the couch, and with tears in her eyes, she told me she had felt scared and alone and she won't ever do that again. And then she stopped. Tilted her head. And said.... "But, I washed my hair, Mommy!"
And that's Julia.........
But, it didn't end there. My co-worker left our office earlier than I did since I had to make up the time for tending to the emergency. Hmmm... close the door, or shut the door?? I think I should probably shut it. And I did. And it locked. And I didn't have a key.
But, at least I NOW knew who to go to for key issues. So, with a smile on my face, I returned to that office with another key problem. No, they did not have the key. No, the CLO office is not usually closed. But, he could get the key. And, since no one was stuck on the other side, he could take his time.
And then I got home.
And I couldn't open the door.
Yes, I had the key, but it just wasn't working. Perhaps the constant heat had expanded the wood and made the dead bolt just slightly off. I pulled and pulled and twisted and turned, but it just wouldn't open. Fortunately, with the ring of the bell, our housekeeper was at the door and let me in.
I didn't want to deal with keys for the rest of the day....
And then my desk phone rang...
It was Sarah, the other Sarah at the Embassy, not me. My housekeeper had called the Embassy switchboard (which was the only number I knew, because I didn't know my desk phone yet), and the operator transferred her to Omani Sarah and not to me. Turned out Julia had locked herself in the bathroom.
From what I can figure out, Julia had to use the potty, Connie helped, they left, but Julia turned around, shut the door, and locked it. She wanted to wash her hands "BY MYSELF". If you've lived with a willful 3 year old, you know exactly what I mean. Unfortunately, small washed and wet hands can't unlock doors.
Omani doors are SOLID. There's no pin hole you can stick with a paperclip to unclock the bathroom door. It does have a grooved segment that you can conceivably use to unlock with the right equipment, however, not with the equipment easily available (coins and Polly Pockets).
Julia started getting upset and even told Connie to call the police and fireman and that's when I got a call. So, 10 minutes before I was supposed to be in a security clearance meeting, I rushed to my car and drove home. Meanwhile, my co-worker was on the phone calling facilities people to meet me at the house and help unlock this door.
I ran around looking for the screwdriver, which, of course, was not where it was supposed to be. Found it, and with a bit of effort, was able to unlock the door.
Julia was on the other side, naked and wet... hmmm.... and upset. I swaddled her in her towel and talked to her on the couch, and with tears in her eyes, she told me she had felt scared and alone and she won't ever do that again. And then she stopped. Tilted her head. And said.... "But, I washed my hair, Mommy!"
And that's Julia.........
But, it didn't end there. My co-worker left our office earlier than I did since I had to make up the time for tending to the emergency. Hmmm... close the door, or shut the door?? I think I should probably shut it. And I did. And it locked. And I didn't have a key.
But, at least I NOW knew who to go to for key issues. So, with a smile on my face, I returned to that office with another key problem. No, they did not have the key. No, the CLO office is not usually closed. But, he could get the key. And, since no one was stuck on the other side, he could take his time.
And then I got home.
And I couldn't open the door.
Yes, I had the key, but it just wasn't working. Perhaps the constant heat had expanded the wood and made the dead bolt just slightly off. I pulled and pulled and twisted and turned, but it just wouldn't open. Fortunately, with the ring of the bell, our housekeeper was at the door and let me in.
I didn't want to deal with keys for the rest of the day....